Ayahuasca - Working with couples
In my experience, as with all things with the Medicine it is very individual specific and couples are no exception.
While I do not have hard rules on couple separation in ceremony, but I strongly encourage it for the following reasons:
1. When you are in your journey you need to focus on yourself.
2. Couples have a tendency to want to chat and interrupt each others journeys.
3. While they maybe a "couple" they are not in the exact same place spiritually.
4. Some couples have secrets and they may have a hard time "letting go"
5. Fear is contagious, especially with couples.
There are exceptions, and some couples really come together, they are the few, not the many on their first journey together.